Thursday, August 4, 2011

Bye Bye Paci...

Duh, duh, duh...the day has come to say goodbye to Lucy's favorite friend, the PACI.  We've always had a love/hate relationship with that darn paci.  We started out loving it when you were a newborn because it kept you from sucking her thumb.  You weren't the biggest fan at first, but I was insistent that you would not become a thumb sucker, so you and that paci quickly became friends. We then moved on to a hate due to anytime it would fall out of your mouth (which was oh about 50 times a night), you would instantly wake up hunting around for it.  Then, back to love once you were old enough to find it very quickly in your sleep (and when Momma was finally smart enough to leave a few sprinkled in your bed). And, back to hate when you began having it in your mouth every second of the day and we realized how in the world would we ever part with that dear paci.  Then, finally back to love.  We've been in the love stage for quite a while now.  You were only having it at bed time the past eight months or so and putting you to bed with it has been a piece of cake.  The instant that coveted paci touched your lips, your sweet little eyes would start to roll back and you'd start snoozing away.  

With all the big changes getting ready to happen this next year for Lucy (new school, big girl bed and potty training), we decided a couple weeks ago that it was time to go ahead and try to kick her paci habit while life is calm.  When Lucy woke up from her nap, we talked about how only tiny babies have paci's and that Lucy was a big girl and didn't need it anymore.  We told her the paci fairy was going to come and take all her paci's to the new babies that needed them.  Lucy dropped them all in a little box and then   we put them outside the front door.  Carlos and Lucy went to hide while the "paci fairy" came.  Then, Lucy opened the front door and it was the most precious thing when she looked up at me with her, wow I can't believe it face!  She opened her present which had suckers, bubbles, stickers, all kinds of fun goodies.

So....how's it going post paci?  Hummm...actually, she's doing great.  I'm the one in withdrawal.  Lucy's asked for it only twice, but as soon as I remind her about the paci fairy and she shakes her head and smiles.  My precious baby girl.  If it was up to us, you would have that thing until you were 30- we wouldn't care.  But, we had to give up that piece of heaven now before it got too hard on you missy and us. ;) Bedtime is now a long process of still reading all our books, but I have to sit with you for quite a while and help you remember how to somewhat put yourself to sleep again without your buddy.  But, I don't mind sweet thing.  Mommy and Daddy are so proud of our big girl.  Sniff.

Packing away her paci's for the paci fairy.


 Look what she left for Lucy!

 Can you get any sweeter?  I think not.

2 comments:

Nate, Abbey, Noah, Blaire and Tatum said...

Great idea!! I'm the same way...my kids hated their paci so I'm in favor of babies keeping those cute things in their mouths, ha! Probably because I have no idea what it is really like.

Danielle said...

That is the sweetest story ever! I seriously teared up when I read how well she accepted it and received her gifts. Such a great idea, by the way.

Now having 2 thumb suckers, I can tell you what a wise move you made to go for the paci and not the thumb. You can always throw the paci away but trust me, you CAN'T take the thumb away! We're still fighting that battle and Colin is 4!

By the way, you header is absolutely adorable!!